Sunday, 18 October 2009

Freelance: Tips before bidding online


So you already took the first step in Online freelancing. Now there are many sites out there that does hold online projects to tender for any online freelancers. It's somewhat like a space advertisement where specialist contractors (meaning a group or company that is specialize in a field to get the job done) will have to negotiate, offer, re-negotiate, and close the deal in order to get the project of their desired choice that comes with a price. But when it comes to online projects, freelancers are given a limit of bids to provide an attractive offer to those projects hosted.

So let's say you have some bids and you specialize in writing, coding and probably legal (like a freelancing lawyer + a bit of programming). So when you take a look at the list of projects that fits with your skills. You found there is at least 3 pages filled of projects looking for a freelancing expert on the specific field.

That's right. I said freelancing "expert". Meaning they don't want some rookie with no experience, no portfolio, no samples, no feedbacks on your previous work or anything. They want a true caliber freelancer to help get their job done. However, you're situation tells you otherwise. You're no expert. You are a rookie. You're new in the online freelancing market. But you want money and you want to get paid from them for your hard work. But in order to be paid, you need that project. And to get the project, you need a "convincing and persuasive" bid on the project.

Now, I cannot say exactly how you should write out your "convincing and persuasive" bid. But basically put, you need to do the following (these are based on my experiences and I have already won 5 projects in the last 2 months in this style):

  • Put yourself in the Employer's Shoes: When it comes to bidding, you need to see what the employer would see after hundreds, if not tens, of bids posted on his/her project posted on the freelancing site. It becomes a problem when you put up a bid and you made an essay out of yourself. So keep it simple and give them what they want. Got more stuff? Attach a file. I assume you would have found that out by now.
  • Write a bid when you know you can do the project: At first, I was excited that I found a place where I can do a lot of stuff because I have the skills in which they need. So I quickly bid on the first project that I wanted to do. However there are some projects, which I felt that it is hard to get it done and that I know that it may take longer than a week to do it. So I bid and waited. Weeks later, the project canceled or found someone else better. Actually, I found out there were more than just 1 but 3 projects canceled. So there goes my 3 bids. So bid carefully and bid on a project where you know you can do it and have it done.
  • What if you don't know how to finish a project?: There are some cases where people and... ehem.. ehem.. I, don't know if we could finish the project nor do I have the skills. And people and *cough cough* I should be careful when we bid on certain project. If you know you can't nor able to start or finish it, learn the skills you need before the project bidding ends. It may sound like a rush job but if the project is willing to pay you 3000 Euros, who's complaining? So be sure you learn the necessary skills before you bid the project that you want.
  • When a big wave comes in, wait for the next one: Now again it is exciting that you get to see a lot of projects available for you to try to bid on and win. However, you need to rationalize, get real and be ready for the projects. It's a way to actually put value onto a project that you know its true value. It means that some project host are posting up a big project which you know you can finish, but it's budget is $30-$250. If you were smart and able to control you're emotions, DON'T BID! It's a trap for freelancing suckers to take up a big project and get paid less for it. So if you see it, reject it, and wait for the next one.
  • Bid smart: I've seen this a lot. A lot of freelancers won't bother bidding with regards to what the project is all about. I've seen that the project was talking about design an e-commerce site, and the bid was talking about sales team and communication. That has nothing to do with the project! You have to bid according to what the project want to be done and if at all possible, at a low significant price. If they say, write 10 articles daily and get paid $10 for it. You write 10 articles, every day and get paid $10! Nothing more and nothing less. So bid exactly what they want the project to be done. And if you want, you can add any extra if it has any relevancy to the project as well as the price if the project host is willing to pay for it.
  • Bid with confidence: I'm being repetitive with the second one of this list because I have to emphasize the point of "bid when you know you can do it!". So by stressing out this point, bid when you can finish the project and if at all possible, within the shortest amount of time. This way you have an edge over others. Some freelancers that I have seen are so confident, they bid that it can be done within 24 hours. I saw how they did it. And I am willing to do the same. Will you?
  • Edit your bid when someone is bidding better than you: Some freelancing sites allow freelancers to change our bids to compete against other freelancers. Whether they bid lower than you or better description of their bid than yours, you have an option to edit your bid before the bidding date closes. This does not take up your bid and if you bid smart, you may win the project. However do be careful when you bid lower than others. You need to make sure that it is worth your effort and time to bid lower than necessary amount to the project.
  • Extra Tip - Bid when you have already finished the project: I have found this tip or rather a trick to be very evil but a way to win the project instantly. Finish the project if at all possible, before the bidding date closes, show your finished work to the employer or project host (with a secure data file like pdf with a password encrypted and other secure features) and if they like it, they'll close the project pre-maturely. And straight away pay you for the early finished project for them. But that is of course, if you can finish the project early at all. Otherwise, you may need to wait for the briefing from the project host or employer.
So these are the tips and a trick on how you can be a successful freelancer online. It's all in a sense of how well you can perform before the project has even started. So happy freelancing online everyone! :)

One last thing and I forget to mention. You can join the freelancing community where you can post up you're own project and get it done by other freelancers or be the freelancer and take up a project and get paid!..... in EUROS! You can get it all just by signing up here!

If you have any more questions, problems, comments or likely information regarding this topic, please post it in the comment section below. Thank you for reading the Bruneian Dollar! ;)

-Let the power of wealth be with you~

2 comments:

ianndesign said...

thanks BD : ), I guess i was just over exicted huh! LoL...

Bruneian Dollar said...

No problem iann. The people and ..ehem ehem.. I do too! :D