Friday, 5 March 2010

Can't Wholesale? Dropship!

There is one thing I noticed about bloggers in Brunei, other than selling bakery goods or local goods, is that they sell other items available from the Internet. This doesn't surprise me as I am already familiar with affiliate marketing. Until I read an article about Dropshipping business from Brunei Community Business Forums. Now this was a very old entry in the forums and I was planning to take advantage of it, given that I thought it was a new concept in the commercial industry, but I was dead wrong!

Let me explain what dropshipping is. It's the ability where retailers can sell items without taking stock of the goods and sell them directly from a supplier to a customer. All the while, a traditional commerce model looks like this as we've been taught in commercial studies.



Basically, Dropshipping cuts out the middleman (i.e. wholesaler) and lets the supplier be the wholesaler as well as supplying them. While retailers have to work hard to convince customers that they really do sell these items in their shop but not really. When the customer orders a product, you're gonna have to ask for some details from them and this includes their post address. Because when you receive payment for an item, you place the same order on the supplier's website but put the shipping address to your customer's address.



So is dropshipping for you? Well that depends on your selling skills. How charming are you and can you manage to convince others how good are these products? Selling is just one way to do it.

Another way for dropshippers to earn is to allow retailers to take the role of a wholesaler. Some suppliers let their dropshippers do that. Provided that they buy a bulk of the products. One advantage of buying in bulk should be obvious. It's cheaper. And when it is cheaper, you can sell it cheaper than other dropshippers. Thus, it becomes a competitive market. That, by the way, was a disadvantage. You need some capital in order to sell cheaper products.

So you may be thinking, "Since these products are from a supplier, won't the customers know where they can get them?" The answer to that is a simple, No. Suppliers deliver the products anonymously and make the customers think that it came from you. You can even sell these items on ebay or other auction sites. All you need is a product and a wholesale price for it. You just charge higher for your profits in retail price.



Its easier said than done when you are having a hard time making even one sale. I know. I tried it for awhile. So it takes a large amount of skill to do it. Still I don't mind to even try to sell one as I go along.

Requirements/tasks for dropshippers:

  • Get a website/shop set up - This costs some money.
  • Get advertising - The market needs to know that you are selling these items.
  • Get selling - The only way to meet an income is to sell.
  • Get customer orders - Either they give you their post address to send the products; or have the supplier send the product to your shop and send it to the customer.
Even if you don't wanna spend your money to start this business is also perfectly fine. You just needed a platform or a medium to meet customer orders and sell your products on display. Websites tend to be the most preferred for dropshippers.

One thing I've learnt in making money is that, you can never make enough with just products on display or even services you have available. The next valuable skill is to learn how to sell them. And recently, I just bought a book about How to sell by Zig Ziglar. Cost me B$25 on Amazon. Because it's already a belief in every business that sales is how you measure its success.

Are you ready to dropship and sell?

-Let the power of wealth be with you~


P.S. You may need a Paypal, Credit Card or Bank account if you're planning to make any transaction with any supplier to start dropshipping. You don't wanna be humiliated for the fact that you can't get the product over to your/their country if you can't even purchase it on their website.
P.S.S. I am not liable for any irresponsible financial transactions during any dropshipping activities. I am just giving out business ideas as well as options for those who needs to make a living.

No comments: