Tuesday, 19 January 2010

JPKE Vs Consumer Behavior Problem

So I have been an constant reader at Brudirect.com and posted a few comments that are strong in my area (Business and some IT). I was glad that I actually got some interactions from doing so. Not only that, I have also pitched in my part to help the Brunei Community to move forward. But here is one particular post that I wrote and I find it relevant to my blog. So here's the post!


This post is written in response to a post "JPKE, Please Do Your Job!"
Don't you think it's not really up to the JPKE to check all the prices? I mean sure, it is their job. But it's also our job to realize that we have a consumer behavior problem. The reason why one shop's price is higher than the other is because of 3 things:

1. They need to pay the rent. If they own the place, then they just want more money. 
2. They need to cover their losses. Just selling stuff is not easy and they need to cover their losses over the products that they paid for in advance. If their business is good, then they just want more money. 
3. They just want more money. See how I emphasize the fact that they want more money from the consumers or how they would like to call them, "Suckers" to buy products that are meant to be cheaper in other stores?



One thing I've noticed as I was working with an Indian friend in one of his Kedai Runcit, is the way they calculate. And they are really good with numbers so don't underestimate them. How they did their business is simply using the concept of "reselling". Restaurants are famous for this. They buy a carton of can drinks which costs $15 for 20 cans. They sell each of the can drinks $1. That's $5 profit. I'm not saying buy products in bulk because it's cheaper. It's true though. But there is another way to avoid being ripped off is to do your research. Scan. Cross-reference.

Find the cheapest store and compare the pricing with another. I know it may seem to take a long time to do this but it will be worth it in the end.
JPKE should be doing this. However, since they are lazy, WE should be doing their job. Once you find the high priced store, send the word out. I know how gossip roam in Brunei. It shouldn't pose a problem with the ladies. Because the only way a store can stay in business is its consumer base. If you rally up and go for a cheaper store with the same products, that high priced store will either one day, close their business or reduce their price just to get some sales up. It is human psychology and also business ethics. Why bother complaining to the authorities when you can take action for yourself and save others while you're at it? Consumer Behavior Problem indeed.
And as for Kripton, I don't get it when you're on about Brunei Goals. It's true that politicians are all talk and no show. But putting ourselves up to their standards by posting up a topic in HYS does little effect. As I have said before in another comment that wise man once said this, "Don't learn for the sake of knowledge, learn for the sake of action." If you've learnt that one shop is charging higher than the other, then start shopping at the cheapest ones. Since you've learnt that Brunei is moving from one goal to the next, help them in actually FINISHING one goal.
I wouldn't be bothered about Brunei Goals. I have my own goals to worry about. And I'll do it with cheaper products or at the very least, a price steal. ;)

The link for the original post can be found here. Post up some comments here too and tell me what you think! Oh and at HYS, I go by the other pen name, BDollar. :)

-Let the power of wealth be with you~

No comments: